Tuesday, March 27, 2012

13 marathons in 13 days and 1,493 miles logged in 2012

Today's goal/motivation; beat the rain! Last night's forecast for this afternoon was rain. It is usually something simple like that that keeps me moving.

As I began this run I was met with high winds, which of course made me realize just how good I have had it. One particular gust almost stopped me right in my tracks, and I was less than a quarter mile into the 26.2 mile run!

Just before mile 13 I was able to head back to the north and now the wind is at my back. The sun is even making an appearance. Life is good!...

Miles 13 - 16 were uncharacteristically enjoyable. Nothing like the wind and sun on your back with only ten miles to go...

Mile 19 - The peanut butter and banana sandwich my son brought me at mile 11 is losing it's effect! My legs still feel good though I can definitely feel the effects of running into a stiff wind the first 13 miles. The feet are just starting to feel the pain, but feel significantly better than yesterday.

Mile 23 - Now that I have another banana I should easily have enough fuel to finish off these final miles. After the last few days, I decided to try to make today's 26.2 miles as easy as possible. Six hours, start to finish. As I write this on mile 23 I am exactly where I need to be to comfortably achieve today's goal. For a lot of you this may seem real slow, but do try to remember, I am not an athlete, I am just the guy next door who happens to be driven by a strong sense of purpose and motivation. If I were an actual athlete I probably would be knocking these out in four hours. As for me and as for today, six hours is just right!

THE FINISH LINE - My official finish time was 6 hrs 3 min 59 sec - as far as I am concerned, right on. More importantly, I feel better than I have in days. I just might do this again tomorrow just as a little reminder to the world, one day at a time, we can do just about anything.

For those of you that really want to support the cause, buy the book linked on the right side of the blog. And if you really, really want to support this cause, buy extra books for anyone you know who is serious about their goals.
Mile 5 with the Mississippi river in the background

No comments:

Post a Comment