Friday, March 30, 2012

16 marathons in 16 days (1,572 miles in 2012)

MILE 1 - 37 degrees right now and a high today of 55! Last night we had extremely high winds, rain and lightning so I was mentally prepared for anything today. To see that we did not have the same thing this morning was a bit of a relief. Just the idea of running in those kind of conditions made my mind shift gears back to the idea that this is simply a matter running one mile at a time. One step at a time. There is nothing more powerful than a made up mind. Clarity is power. Here's to staying dry!...

Pettibone Lagoon
MILE 2 - Perspective IS everything. All that I need to do is remind myself that right now I could be running in weather like we had last night and each mile feels like a bonus -even if it is 37 degrees...

MILE 3 - I am just realizing that these conditions are perfect for a run....

MILE 4 - Heading into downtown and I this is another moment I feel very lucky to be doing this, which is funny because that is not what I was feeling when I woke up this morning!...

The Mississippi river as seen from Riverside Park
MILE 5 - I remembered yet another reason why I continue to run a marathon every day... Because the time will pass anyway! That is a great reminder for anyone who is questioning whether they should put in the time to achieve just about any goal...

MILE 6 - I could do this all day (at least that is how I feel NOW!...

MILE 7 - Why IS more important than how and I believe that the greatest WHY for all of us is because we can...

MILE 8 - Still a perfect day. Life is good...

MILE 9 - Thought I would try something radically different today and not even think of the clock. Why is it that when we do this things seem to be easier, more relaxed and even more enjoyable?...

MILE 10 - Cannot believe this is the 10th mile - there just might be something to this blog running!..

MILE 11 - Another thing that I have noticed is that the blogging forces me to keep a nice smooth, easy rhythm...

MILE 12 - I must say, I really do love when there is no wind. What a difference it makes...

MILE 13 - Coffee, a peanut butter and banana sandwich and a pocket full of Cheetos! Imagine what I could do if I had proper fuel!! Though it really is hard to beat Cheetos!...

MILE 14 - I actually feel about the same as I did at mile one! This is a very good sign of things to come. Looking forward to the day I can say that at mile 26!...

MILE 15 - Breeze is picking up but I found the Tootsie Rolls in my other pocket, thinking that will offset the breeze I am running into!...

MILE 16 - Here come those wonderful hills. At least there is still no rain...

MILE 17 - OK, now the feet begin to hurt, and when ever that happens I find it good to remind myself of those that do not have any feet and my internal complaining ceases almost instantaneously. Doesn't mean the pain goes away, I just accept it as part of the process...

MILE 18 - This is where the fun begins for me. Time to suck it up and dig a little deeper knowing that one day even this point of the run WILL get easier...

MILE 19 - Technical difficulty with blogspot app on i-phone does not make the 19th mile any easier!...

MILE 20 - App was freezing up. Had to log out and log back in while watching for cars. There's another way to take your mind off running twenty miles into the run!...

MILE 21 - "Slow but steady wins the race!" (at least that is the theory!). Time to keep on keepin' on...

MILE 22 - Slowing down (if that is possible)...

MILE 23 - Suddenly feel an unexpected second wind coming on, experience has taught me to not push it and see that it lasts as long as possible...

MILE 24 - I feel like walking but I am going to keep on jogging...BECAUSE I CAN!...

MILE 25 - You know you're hurting when it takes you at least a half mile to catch the people walking ahead of you!...

MILE 26 - Who ever it was that said inch by inch, EVERYTHING is a cinch was not on their 26th mile of their 26th marathon in 16 days!...

FINISHED - About six and a half hours. I really tried not to think about time at all today. I just wanted to run literally one mile at a time regardless of time. The most difficult thing for me is the feet getting sore, beyond that, I feel great. All things considered!

Map and stats of today's run


No comments:

Post a Comment