Wednesday, March 28, 2012

15 Marathons in 15 Days (1,546 miles in 2012)

MILE 1 - Sunshine and 39 degrees. Most importantly there is not much wind. An ideal day to attempt a 15th marathon in 15 days. I decided to start a little later today. Ideally I would love to run at the same time, and 9 a.m. seems perfect. As much as I would love to start at 5 a.m. and be done well before noon, rest is just as important as the running itself. Today's goal is to start around nine and finish around three. More importantly, to practice living fully in the now as much as possible...

MILE 3 - "Light and easy" is all I keep repeating to myself and I let the words work their magic. It is cool but beautiful out here!...

MILE 5 - Blogging and Tweeting while running may sound crazy, but the miles go by in the blink of an eye...

MILE 6 - Actually ahead of schedule, just keeping a nice comfortable rhythm. Must be the fact that I am trying not to think, just to be...

MILE 7 - One nice thing about the runmeter app I use to track my running, I am able to pause it. Just saw a good friend I haven't seen in at least seven years and was able to chat for a little bit...

MILE 9 - Breeze picking up a little, but so is the air temp...

MILE 10 - Legs feelin' a little tight, feet a little tender, but I am definitely noticing an improvement on how I feel at this point of the run now compared to previous runs...

MILE 11 - Is it lunch time yet?

MILE 12 - Was just attacked by two dogs! Fortunately they only weighed about 5 pounds each! They were going after the ankles! That's one way to get me to pick up my pace! Or at least provide for a good laugh...

MILE 14 - The breeze has picked up considerably over the last three hours, but now it is at my back...

MILE 16 - Hills! They are always so much bigger 16 miles into a run. I found my self feeling the effects of 16 miles then looked at the clock and realized I still have almost 2 hrs and 20 minutes to hit the 6 hr goal, which equals 140 minutes divided by 10 miles which equals 14 minutes per mile. And there we have the secret to succeeding at virtually anything - break it down until you can say with absolute certainty, "I can do THAT!" - and it does not even matter if you do achieve the goal in the end, but you at least tried. You at least gave yourself a chance. So much of achievement is in the mind. So simple, yet so simple to forget...

MILE 19 - For the record this is usually the part of the run where I begin to ask myself why would I do this to myself everyday?! I have no sponsors, I have no money, so I work evenings to pay the bills, I may have sold ten books so far! So why would I continue this madness that makes it hard for me to walk each time I get up?! I continue to do this because I believe we do create our own self-imposed limitations. I continue to do this because there are people out there that tell you I can't do it! I continue this because I really do believe one day at a time we can do just about anything, if we just make each day count. I will continue this because I know that in life, we don't regret what we have done nearly as much as what we haven't...

MILE 22 - So what have I learned from this so far? Patience - if you build it , they will come! More importantly, if what I am doing right now motivates or inspires someone else even a little, then my time has not only not been wasted, rather, well invested. One mile at a time, one person at a time.

Mile 23 - Now the feet are feelin' it - time to dig in!

THE FINISH - 5 hrs 56 min 49 sec was my official run time - here is the link to the map and stats to today's run!! I am very happy with that. Though my feet are not! That's alright, they'll get over it! Little by little I am noticing that these marathons are getting easier. Microscopically, but easier nonetheless. Not to be confused with easy. This is still a physical and mental struggle everyday that takes everything that I have got. I actually have caught myself saying (in a Scottish accent); "I'm givin' her all she's got captain"!!! (True story)

The view from about 3.3 miles into today's run

Thanks to all of you who kept the feedback coming, it is most definitely what keeps me going.

The view near mile marker 16 on today's run

No comments:

Post a Comment