Monday, February 6, 2012

"A little perspective goes a long way"

So pretty much every day when I get up in the morning my body tends to be sore.  This morning was no exception.  Of course, I ran 19 miles yesterday and I know that whether I feel like it or not I will run 19 miles again today.  On a treadmill. 
This is the greatest challenge.  Not running 19 miles per day!  Not even the treadmill.  It is the mental part. 
This is when doubt tries to take hold.  I do not get paid for what I am doing.  For me it is something bigger than that.  This can also make it even more difficult. 
No level of motivation, justification or rationalization can affect me at times like these. Most days begin for me around 6 am and finish around midnight.  So Sometimes I feel a little tired.
Then out of nowhere I get a little perspective.  I believe that it is something we can condition.  It is like a program that kicks in automatically.  The beautiful thing about it is that we do not require much of it.  It really is as simple as reminding ourselves that no matter how bad we may think we have it at any given moment, someone has it way worse than we do. 
That thought is enough to motivate me.  I do not need to over analyze it or put it into context.  I do not even need to think about the billions of people that are already in the ground or those that are in hospitals right now, or those that are dealing with addictions that take all control away. 
Just knowing that right now, someone has it way worse than I do is enough to create a spark of motivation.  Even on a Monday. 
My only hope in sharing this with you is that it is a thought process that works the same for all of us.  All we need to do is remember.  And like anything else, the more we do it, the easier it gets until eventually it becomes automatic! 
Now I am ready to run 19 miles.
My hope for you is that you remember, if only for a moment how lucky you really are.
Perspective works every time.

I feel compelled to add that today's post is dedicated to my father for giving me this perspective.  I could never thank him enough.

  I add a mile to my run distance every Sunday and I am CURRENTLY RUNNING 19 MILES EVERY DAY, seven days a week, whether I feel like it or not, as a platform for a book that I spent 9 years working on and I am NOT KEEPING A SINGLE PENNY OF THE MONEY.  100% of the after-tax profits from "The 365 Day Challenge" are going to restitution.  THAT'S MY STORY.  I am running to raise money for the people that I am indebted to as well as motivate and inspire others along the way.  I believe that it is never to late to do the right thing and hope my story inspires others to do the same. 
FOR A MORE IN-DEPTH INTERVIEW GO TO www.booksbyjeff.com
OR TO ORDER THE BOOK CLICK GO TO www.createspace.com/3777311

1 comment:

  1. While walking my LEJOG walk (Land's End to John O'Groats) in 2010 I had the same problem. The body was willing - most days - but the mind was a whole different thing all together.

    It was amazing how easy it was to get up and walk that day's miles when I was in the right space [mentally speaking] and how utterly awful and difficult it was when I wasn't.

    I can't imagine getting up and doing what you're doing, and have muchos respect.

    All the best

    Darren

    ReplyDelete