Saturday, February 18, 2012

"STAYING MOTIVATED"

785 Miles logged running in 2012 so far (before today's 20 mile run)

Today represents my final 20 mile run.  Tomorrow I will add yet another mile and run 21 miles.  Some days I have found easier than others.  The hardest part has not been the physical part, it has been the mental part.  It is not even about staying motivated, because once I start, then I begin to enjoy the run more and more as it goes.  The most difficult part is committing this kind of time to something not knowing in the end if it will really mean anything.  Imagine that.  There is no guarantee with what it is that I am doing. 

With that being said, maybe you can see why it is that the feedback that I get from people is ultimately what motivates me to run another 20 miles.  Here is just one of many examples I see that help me continue doing what it is that I am doing...


(From me)... "To quote Ralph Waldo Emerson; "What ever we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the nature of the task has changed, but our ability to do has increased" - and that about sums up today's 20 mile run..." (3 days ago)

(From Rachel S. - Chester VA)... "I love that quote. I struggled my way thru my 3 miles and they felt HUGE to me. Your 20 miles are very impressive, and very inspirational. That quote, and seeing all the miles you log has reminded me that everyone has to start somewhere. Running will always be running, its ME that will be changing. And I like that a lot. :)" 


I would recommend taking ten seconds and reading Rachel's words again, because to put it simply, she got it.   And my hope on this Saturday is that you "get it" as well.  In the meantime, keep the feedback coming and I will keep the running coming to remind you and I that one day at a time we can do almost anything, we just got to start somewhere. 

Jeffrey J. Miller 
Extreme marathoner
Soon to be New York Times best selling author
of "The 365 Day Challenge"
@jeffreyjmiller1
www.booksbyjeff.com
jeffreyjmiller1970@yahoo.com

If you have not seen it yet and you want to know WHY I am running 20 miles a day, check out this interview... "Making the journey from prison to the World Records"

If you really want to support this cause - the best way is to get the book(s) - for yourself or others.  You WILL be surprised at the book's read-ability as well as the motivation in creates!

No comments:

Post a Comment