Wednesday, April 11, 2012

28th MARATHON COMPLETED in 28 days

 1,887 MILES OF RUNNING SO FAR IN 2012

MILE 1 - Almost started earlier but opted for more rest. Not to mention the temp was hanging around freezing. Not that it is much different now. It is in the upper 30's and the breeze makes it feel like the lower 20's!...

MILE 2 - But at least the sun is shining!...


MILE 3 - I am frequently asked what my diet is to support this kind of daily mileage. Since it is a common question, I am including the answer in today's blog post throughout the mile updates...

MILE 4 - Pre-run is coffee (this morning I drank a whole pot of coffee!) and a creatine drink on the side...


MILE 5 - During the marathon I have a ClifBar (Builder - 20g protien / 30g carbs) every 5 miles and I pick up Gatorade (32 oz) at convenience stores located at miles 10, 13 and 18...



MILE 6 - And though I am attempting to become the first American to ever complete 365 marathons in 365 days, I have no sponsors. I attempted to get sponsorship, but every company I contacted basically said don't call us, we'll call you!... Oh yeah, and good luck with that! (so to quite Bill Murray in Caddy Shack, I've got that going for me!)....

MILE 7 - To pay the bills at home and buy the coffee, creatine, Gatorade and protien bars that fuel these daily marathons I work evenings with my oldest son, after completing a marathon and spending as much time as I can with my family (I am blessed with four amazing kids ages 7, 11, 15 & 20)...

MILE 8 - How do I do this? Simple, I do not get much sleep! But, when I do sleep, (I usually fall to sleep between midnight and one), I sleep real good!..

MILE 9 - Will I get sponsors? Who knows?! But I get great peace of mind knowing that me completing this quest is not dependent upon it. I will do this regardless. I would just get to spend more priceless time with my family and get a little more sleep!!!...


MILE 10 - I suppose that I should include an update on today's marathon. Since my greatest challenge most days seems to be the last ten miles, I am taking every mile up until then very slow and easy in an attempt to balance it out a little more...

MILE 11 - Now back to that diet! Post-run is another creatine drink followed by a protien drink...

MILE 12 - The rest of the day my diet consists of green tea, raw spinach, and raw almonds as my first choice...

MILE 13 - Beyond that my preferences are a glass of red wine (Yellowtail chiraz), a bottle of beer (Dos Equis amber w/lime), chicken breast, black beans, a good burger, pizza, lasagna, spaghetti and garlic bread, now I am getting hungry!...


MILE 14 - Turning back into the wind! At least it is almost 50 degrees now. Just a cold breeze out of the north to go with it!....

MILE 15 - ...and occasionally I will indulge in Subway or Taco Bell...


MILE 16 - Ice cream. Can't forget the ice cream! One of my favorites! Mint chocolate chip. I just try to keep the quantity of these latter items in check. If I don't, I will feel like a zombie every time!...

MILE 17 - Now to put it all together. I more or less live by the 80/20 rule. 80% of what I eat is good, 20% is what ever I feel like at the time. That is how I balance it out. And it works for me!...

MILE 18 - Back to today's marathon. Kept it slow and easy and as a result I should be able to comfortably pace myself to the finish from here!


MILE 19 - It's all downhill from here!...

MILE 20 - Now it is beginning to warm up nicely!...

MILE 21 - Eric, my pacer, found me again and is helping me for a few miles. A true runner, he ran this morning, and is doing a trail run tonight. Now that is a true runner...

MILE 22 - Moving along nicely!..

MILE 23 - Now pretty much on autopilot!

MILE 24 - That helped a ton, now I only have a few miles to go and it's another marathon in the books! Thanks Eric!

MILE 25 - Almost there!

MILE 26 - My final mile for today seems a fitting place to leave a quite I read years ago... "Nothing has a greater impact on the way the body looks, feels and functions than what you feed it!" - author unknown

FINISH - MAP and STATS

With all that being said, here is a challenge for you;  What ever it takes to do it, repeat the final quote from mile 26 every day for the next 30 days or so and do nothing else.  No rules or guidelines just repeat the phrase at least once a day and notice what happens.  If you really want to be amazed, repeat it as many times per day as you can in that time frame and watch what happens!

1 comment:

  1. Jeff been following your blog and your progress for a few months now and can't even explain how inspiring you have been. As a father I struggle with the balancing act of working full time training and still holding up all my parental responsibilities. Running consecutive marathons for a year is amazing but doing that and still maintaining a good family dynamic is truly impressive and remarkable. You are an inspiration, keep it up and good luck on your quest!

    ReplyDelete