Saturday, June 23, 2012

Day 101

After much, and I mean MUCH contemplation, I have made the difficult decision to NOT go beyond 100 days with the marathon streak.

My decision is based on family values.  Here is what I was thinking after the completion of yesterday's run as well as many of the runs that I have completed over the past month or so...

 "The equivalent of 100 marathons in 100 days is completed!  I am giving very serious consideration to staying at the nice round number since I personally do not know anyone in the U.S. who has done it previously and I am paying the greatest price for this... time, which I do not get back.  I have no time for my children.  And that is wrong.  I can be on the treadmill at home with them, but six hours a day is a big price to pay.  I cannot play football with my 12 year old, or even chase my 8 year old around the park, because when I am not running, my legs are shot.  My daughter is growing up way too fast and my oldest and I can run marathons anytime we want the rest of our lives together.  When I can recover like normal people do.  I have too many other books that have already been written and need to be published, even if only by me.  They are still my legacy.  We will see what tomorrow brings, but I have already put countless hours into thinking about this and what I am trying to accomplish. 
In the end, all I want to do is make a difference in the lives of others, one person at a time.  And that I can continue to do."


My  plan now is to keep my run streak alive as thousands of others have done before me.  The only rule as I understand it is to run at least a mile per day.  I did just that this morning.  Obviously, I could run much, much further, but I want and need to get my legs back.  When  I get up each day it is very difficult to just walk.  So I imagine the next month or so will be a recovery phase.  Based on past experience I will feel normal again in a month or so.  

I am incredibly grateful to all of you who have stayed with me, cheered me on and supported me through all the ups and downs.  For me this is not the end, rather, just the beginning.  I hope that you stay with me for the long haul.