Tuesday, June 5, 2012

83rd marathon in 83 days completed

Mile 1 - 8:16 a.m. start time - 61 degrees and sunny with a high of 80 today...

Mile 2 - There is a nice breeze keeping the humidity in check for the time being...

Mile 3 - Yesterday finished very difficult. I am going to try to keep it as comfortable as possible today, especially with the heat...

Mile 4 - My feet are feeling quite tender again today. They still feel better than they did all of last week though!...

Miles 5 through 7 - Conducted my first podcast interview while running through the marsh...


Mile 8 - I really enjoyed the interview and feel that it really hit the point of what this running is all about...



Mile 9 - Time to head to the other side of the Mississippi...


Mile 10 - Another day when the temperature is perfect in the shade!...

Mile 11 - Unfortunately I have not found much shade...

Mile 12 - Except in the middle of this park on the other side of the river which is full of trees...



Mile 13 - I have been getting a sharp pain in my left heal again lately and I do not like it. It is a very familiar feeling to what I dealt with in 2010 when I was only able to complete 59 marathons in a row...

Mile 14 - The pain does is not a constant pain, rather a pain that just comes out of nowhere and almost stops me in my tracks...

Mile 15 - I am being forced to slow down even more...

Mile 16 - Just trying to protect this left foot as much as possible!

Mile 17 - At the rate that I am going today I may have to finish some of my miles after work tonight (around 10:00)...

Mile 18 - Heading by the house to pick up my running partner...

Mile 19 - I only have time for a few more miles before I have to go to work so I am going to knock out a few miles on the treadmill (just to get out of this sun - my lips are actually blistering) and Kahlen and I will finish up whatever miles are left after ten p.m. tonight (after work)...

Mile 20 - The air conditioning is amazing after running for almost five hours in that heat. (Yes, I was that slow today!)...

Mile 21 - This will be the last mile I can get in until after work tonight.  It should be rather nice running miles 22 through 26.2 in the cool night air (I will be back around 10 p.m. tonight - Central Standard Time)...

Mile 22 - 10:30 p.m. - Night running with Kahlen and the yellow lab leading the way and Jessica on the mountain bike next to me lighting the way...

Mile 23 - The air temp is a perfect 70 degrees right now...

Mile 24 - Nothing but us and the crickets and the frogs!...

Mile 25 - And lots of stars!...

Mile 26 and finish - That is was a long day.  I finished the 26.2 miles (26.5 actually) within fifteen minutes of midnight!  I even got to spend some quality time with two of my kids along the way.  Today's summary:  18.2 miles on the street in very high heat and humidity - followed by 3.2 miles on the treadmill, followed by eight hours of work, including over 200 miles of driving, followed by 5 miles on the street!  I cannot wait to do this again tomorrow!

I have completed a full marathon seven days a week, whether I felt like it or not, as a platform for a book that I spent 9 years working on. 

The message of the book is that we can do pretty much anything ONE DAY AT A TIME.  The book is not about running, it is about improving.  It is about getting better at anything we want to improve at by making small incremental improvements that make the difficult things not only achievable, but relatively easy.  

This book was written for anyone who desires to get motivated and more importantly discover how easy it can be to STAY motivated. 

Anyone can get motivated, very few can stay motivated.  I am giving this book the epic platform that it deserves because I believe that staying motivating is the bridge between dreams and reality. 


This book is available in paperback as a print on demand - if you wish to order a copy or twelve, click here.