Monday, May 21, 2012

68th marathon in 68 days completed

Mile 10 view from the Cass Street bridge over the Mississippi
MILE 1 - (9:00 a.m.) 54 degrees with a high of 73 and a lot of sunshine...

MILE 2 - (9:13) As usual, the hardest part is starting!...

MILE 3 - (9:26) Today definitely feels like a Monday...

MILE 4 - (9:39) I am blessed yet again with another gorgeous day in La Crosse...

MILE 5 - (9:52) At least 80% of what I do today will not matter ten years from now, this will. How's that for motivation?

MILE 6 - (10:05) Via Twitter: @cynicalife: @jeffreyjmiller1 Its a good day to run for no other reason than it's today. Enjoy the freedom of the road Jeff. (That is too good not to share)...

MILE 7 - (10:18) Yesterday turned out to be a confidence builder for me...

Mile 7 in the marsh
 MILE 8 - (10:31) The Cellcom Green Bay marathon was cancelled about two and a half hours into the event. It was so hot that they literally ran out of ambulances...

MILE 9 - (10:44) When the event was cancelled, the police where I was at were quite insistent about not letting us pass. I have since learned, there were some runners at other places on the route who continued the course. I wish they would not have been so stern where I was at because I would have loved to finish their route...

MILE 10 - (10:57) I knew at the time that they were just doing there job and they did not want us stubborn ones to continue, so I turned to the south and ran another seventeen miles...

MILE 11 - (11:10) I just met up with another runner through Riverside Park. it was only for less than a mile or so, but the company gave me a well timed second wind. Thank you whoever you were!...

Mile 11 at Pettibone Park
 MILE 12 - (11:23) Back to Green Bay... The confidence builder for me was how good I felt, especially considering the conditions AND I was without aid stations for my final 17 miles!...

MILE 13 - (11:36) I am starting to think that this running might be getting me in pretty good shape!...

MILE 14 - (11:49) The other thing I learned from yesterday's heat was to set a simple goal of maintaining the same pace all day because I knew it was going to be near 90 degrees...

MILE 15 - (12:02) I used actual time for setting my goal. Each mile was to be completed by a set time, including bathroom breaks and water breaks...

MILE 16 - (12:30) Of course I may have the occasional longer break built in for stopping at a convenience store where I will need more time to refill bottles, wait in line, maybe even take a minute to eat a slice of four meat pizza!...(stuff I don't have to deal with at an event)...

MILE 17 - (12:43) Ultimately what this does is keep you moving...

MILE 18 - (12:56) It is the ultimate example of taking a large, overwhelming goal and breaking it into small do-able goals...

MILE 19 - (1:10) That just may be the point of all this. As a reminder that just about any goal, no matter how big, can be broken down into small and actually quite easy goals...

MILE 20 - (1:36) Picked up my running partner to keep me moving...

MILE 21 - (1:48) Time to pick up the pace just a little bit...

MILE 22 - (2:00) Picking up my 15 year old daughter after school is all the incentive I need to pick it up a notch...

MILE 23 - (2:12) It is warming up quite a bit, but nothing compared to yesterday!...

MILE 24 - (2:24) So much easier running with my son Kahle than by myself...

MILE 25 - (2:36) The wind has picked up considerably but we are holding our pace...

MILE 26 - (2:48) Time to dig in for this final mile...

Finished at 3 pm (exactly six hours, start to finish)


(updated every five minutes)
Link also includes stats, feedback and maps of past marathons

2,947 MILES LOGGED SO FAR IN 2012

I have completed a full marathon seven days a week, whether I felt like it or not, as a platform for a book that I spent 9 years working on. 

The message of the book is that we can do pretty much anything ONE DAY AT A TIME.  The book is not about running, it is about improving.  It is about getting better at anything we want to improve at by making small incremental improvements that make the difficult things not only achievable, but relatively easy.  

This book was written for anyone who desires to get motivated and more importantly discover how easy it can be to STAY motivated. 

Anyone can get motivated, very few can stay motivated.  I am giving this book the epic platform that it deserves because I believe that staying motivating is the bridge between dreams and reality. 


This book is available in paperback as a print on demand - if you wish to order a copy or twelve, click here.  
  
 If you have not checked out the iFitness Running Belt Giveaway and product review click here