Thursday, May 24, 2012

71st marathon in 71 days completed

MILE 1 - 8:30 - 72 degrees already! Today's high is 84 degrees with a chance of storms...

MILE 2 - With this humidity it already feels hotter than 84!...

MILE 3 - I will be dealing with very high winds again today as well...


MILE 4 - Today's forecast originally called for high winds, heavy rain and hail!...

MILE 5 - So that is what I was mentally prepared to deal with today...

MILE 6 - Back in the water as opposed to the city street...




MILE 7 - I have been following Eddie Izzard's commitment to complete 27 marathons in 27 days in honor of the 27 years Nelson Mandela spent in Prison...

MILE 8 - I have just learned via Twitter that due to unforeseen medical complications Eddie has been unable to continue...

MILE 9 - Aside from my own father, Nelson Mandela may have had the greatest impact on my own life. In my darkest hour of my life, when I lost everything and was sent to prison, the very first book that found it's way into my hands was Nelson Mandela's "Long Walk To Freedom"...

MILE 10 - So I am going to run marathons number 5 through 27 in honor of Eddie Izzard and Nelson Mandela. It is too great a cause that is too close to my own heart to let Eddie's attempt stop...


MILE 11 - In the words of Eddie Izzard, I owe this to Nelson Mandela and a whole lot more...

MILE 12 - Since I am 29 days away from completing a monumental 100 marathons in 100 days, my first thought was to dedicate marathons 74 through 100 to Nelson Mandela representing Eddie. But I the first four marathons belong to Eddie. I do not want to take that from him...

MILE 13 - If you have not read Nelson Mandela's book, "Long Walk to Freedom", you owe it to yourself to read this book...


MILE 14 - As I blog this it is 81 degrees and extremely humid, but this struggle is paradise compared to What Nelso Mandela endured any given day for 27 incomprehensible years...


MILE 15 - One mile at a time, one person at a time I will make more people aware of what Eddie was doing and why...

MILE 16 - Heading south running (leaning) directly into a very strong wind...

MILE 17 - The storms west of here are getting closer, but at least bringing clouds with them!...

MILE 18 - The sun is still making an appearance from time to time, and when it does, it gets real hot!...

MILE 19 - This wind is killing me today...

MILE 20 - Time to pick up my running partner...

MILE 21 - I am willing to run straight into this wind for miles 21, 22, and 23 so we can have it at our back for miles 24, 25, and 26...

MILE 22 - 89 degrees on the bank thermometer we are passing right now!!!...

MILE 23 - This is definitely a great leg workout!...

MILE 24 - Time to turn back to the north...

MILE 25 - Now we get the wind pushing us!...


MILE 26 - I have had 16 oz of Gatorade in the last 7 miles, I am mildly dehydrated, my feet feel like they have been through a meat grinder, and my body feels like I was hit by a tranquilizer dart. Other than that I feel amazingly alive...

Today was for Eddie Izzard for Nelson Mandela.



OVER 3,000 MILES LOGGED RUNNING SO FAR IN 2012!


COMPLETED MAP FOR TODAY


(updated every five minutes)
Link also includes stats, feedback and maps of past marathons

I have completed a full marathon seven days a week, whether I felt like it or not, as a platform for a book that I spent 9 years working on. 

The message of the book is that we can do pretty much anything ONE DAY AT A TIME.  The book is not about running, it is about improving.  It is about getting better at anything we want to improve at by making small incremental improvements that make the difficult things not only achievable, but relatively easy.  

This book was written for anyone who desires to get motivated and more importantly discover how easy it can be to STAY motivated. 

Anyone can get motivated, very few can stay motivated.  I am giving this book the epic platform that it deserves because I believe that staying motivating is the bridge between dreams and reality. 


This book is available in paperback as a print on demand - if you wish to order a copy or twelve, click here.  
  
 If you have not checked out the iFitness Running Belt Giveaway and product review click here