Saturday, May 26, 2012

73rd marathon completed in 73 days

MILE 1 - 64 degrees with highs in the eighties again today.  I would have gotten up early today to beat the heat, but tomorrow's high is 95!  So today will help me adjust!  I also got an extremely rare eleven hours (at least) of sleep (went to bed around 9:15 and got up just before 9 a.m.!!!)...


MILE 2 - I have to be on the road at 4:30 tomorrow morning for the drive to Rochester's Med-City Marathon...

MILE 3 - For me this marathon is being run for Eddie Izzard who attempted to run 27 marathons in 27 days to honor Nelson Mandela (27 yrs in prison). Today represents day 7...

MILE 4 - Aside from the high temps today, the forecast is calling for severe storms...

MILE 5 - There is a major storm system on radar to the west of here heading this way...



MILE 6 - I am really hoping that it misses us to the north...

MILE 7 - It is starting to rain already so my updates might become a little more sporadic...

MILE 8 - It stopped raining already. I have a feeling that the rain is going to be on and off today...



MILE 9 - At least the extra cloud cover is providing shade...

MILE 10 - Last nights long rest worked wonders.


MILE 11 - Stopped under bridge to update. Raining quite hard now. No risk of overheating because this rain is very cold! Maybe I should have brought a shirt!!!!...

MILES 12 & 13 - The real heavy stuff is about to hit...


WXOW Wx: Strong storms heading for La Crosse! Strong winds, hail, & torrential rainfall have been reported. Don't take chances- head inside!

MILE 14 - Lightning has forced me inside. Still running though. Treadmills do have there place in society after all...

MILE 15 - This might be some good therapy for my feet as well...

MILE 16 - Turning a lemon into lemonade. Watching a movie with my daughter until I hit 26.2 or the storm passes...

MILE 17 - Legs and feet holding up so far...

MILE 18 - This is more mentally challenging...

MILES 19, 20, 21, 22 & 23 completed

MILE 24 - I competed exactly ten miles on the treadmill and the lightning is gone, so I am venturing outside for the final three miles...


MILE 25 - Now I get to run in these incredibly high winds and build up my legs a little more!...


MILE 26 - How much more I appreciate running outside. Tomorrow I am off to the Med-City Marathon in Rochester to do battle with the heat. At least I will have lots of company!

I have completed a full marathon seven days a week, whether I felt like it or not, as a platform for a book that I spent 9 years working on. 

The message of the book is that we can do pretty much anything ONE DAY AT A TIME.  The book is not about running, it is about improving.  It is about getting better at anything we want to improve at by making small incremental improvements that make the difficult things not only achievable, but relatively easy.  

This book was written for anyone who desires to get motivated and more importantly discover how easy it can be to STAY motivated. 

Anyone can get motivated, very few can stay motivated.  I am giving this book the epic platform that it deserves because I believe that staying motivating is the bridge between dreams and reality. 


This book is available in paperback as a print on demand - if you wish to order a copy or twelve, click here.